Early Detection starts with knowing the early signs of autism. By knowing what signs to look for and when, you'll be in the best position to know whether or not to seek a professional evaluation for your child. Evaluating and diagnosing a child with autism spectrum disorder is only something that a qualified professional will be able to do. However, knowing the signs of autism can help you decide whether or not to seek further evaluation for your child. Learn the signs below to help guide you in determining when a child needs further evaluation.
KNOW THE SIGNS
- No social smiles or other warm, joyful expressions directed at people
- Limited or no eye contact
- No sharing of vocal sounds, smiles or other nonverbal communication
- No babbling
- No use of gestures to communicate (e.g. pointing, reaching, waving etc.)
- No response to name when called
- No words
- No meaningful, two-word phrases
- Any loss of any previously acquired speech, babbling or social skills
STILL NOT SURE?
If you aren't sure whether or not your child has autism based on these signs, it's always recommended to have your child further evaluated by a qualified professional. It's important to know about autism at an earlier age. The effectiveness of therapy has been shown to be greater when a child is younger, so you don't want to miss out on key years of early intervention.
Use the form below to contact us and we'll connect you with a professional in your area who evaluates children for autism. You can also call 574-387-4313 and ask to speak with our Family Outreach Coordinator.